Translations & Foreign Rights
The idea that the person doing the talking is the person doing the learning seems counter-intuitive. Yet, that is exactly the case. When students put their thoughts into words, they internalize the learning. As they dialogue with peers, articulate their ideas, and express themselves, their oral language skills translate directly into written language skills. Explore six strategies that address the challenges of the achievement gap:
1) Set High Expectations: Get Kids Emotionally Involved
2) Challenges Students to Think: Teach Higher Order Thinking
3) Require Rigor: Require Complete Sentences, Standard English, Formal Register
4) Leave Nothing to Chance: Revisit! Review! Re-teach! Revise!
5) Make No Excuses: Encourage At-Risk Participation
6) Insist on Results: Emphasize Reading